Protecting Your Ideas
Last year, our attorneys filed hundreds of U.S. and foreign patent applications for our clients and obtained more U.S. patents than any other IP law firm in Wisconsin. You may have other attorneys for your other legal needs, but patent law requires a focused expertise. Our extensive experience enables us to obtain patents that maximize your competitive edge. Perhaps that is why so many leading companies turn to us for protection.
What Is a Patent
- A patent is a right granted by the federal government that permits a patent owner to prevent all others from exploiting its “invention” in the United States for a limited time.
- The public policy behind the patent system is to encourage invention and innovation by rewarding inventors for disclosing and sharing their inventions with the public by giving the patent owner a period of exclusivity to exploit its invention.
- Patent protection is available for inventions that are new, useful, and non-obvious.
How to obtain a patent
- To obtain a patent, a detailed application must be filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), where it is subject to a rigorous examination process.
- Prompt consultation with a patent attorney after developing an invention is essential because rights may be lost unless an application is filed in a timely manner and carefully shepherded through the USPTO.
- Once issued, a patent protects a business’s competitive edge by preventing competitors from making, using, or selling the patented invention for a period of years, generally 20 years from the date the application was filed.
View Our Legal Practice Areas
We specialize in intellectual property. Because intellectual property law is all we do, our attorneys can help you navigate all of your IP needs. Our focus is given to protecting your ideas, thoughts, and visions. With our team of attorneys and our network of international associates, we provide complete services, both domestically and internationally, in all aspects of intellectual property.
Meet Our Team
Whether your needs are domestic or international, Boyle Fredrickson provides expert counsel, personal service and attention to detail not found anywhere else.