Timothy E. Newholm
As a founding member of the firm and a charter Boyle Fredrickson shareholder, as well as a former Examiner with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Tim brings more than 25 years of unique expertise to his dealings with the USPTO, including reissue, reexamination and inter partes review proceedings. He has served multiple terms on the Firm’s Board of Directors and as President.
Tim is highly experienced in a multitude of intellectual property subjects, particularly in various aspects of patent prosecution, licensing and client counseling, and has served as an expert witness in several patent-infringement litigations. He enjoys working with innovative clients that regularly require steadfast patent protection. Tim’s specialties lie in helping clients obtain and assert their IP rights, while respecting the IP rights of others. His clients range from individuals to fortune 500 companies working in diverse technologies such as non-woven fabrics, light construction equipment, engine fueling systems, internet routers and switches, and scanning probe microscopes.
Tim co-authored a chapter on patent law in the “Intellectual Property Law” volume of the State Bar of Wisconsin Business Advisory Series, published in 2006, and is currently working on the 2016 updates to that chapter. Before that, he co-authored Changes in Patent and Copyright Law Under GATT, which was published in Wisconsin Lawyer in 1995 and Protecting American Inventors, which was published in Wisconsin Lawyer in 2000.
Tim is also a former adjunct professor at Marquette University Law School, where he taught patent prosecution for over a decade.
- Intellectual Property Law
- Right to Practice
- Due Diligence in Patent Litigation
- Client Counseling
- Expert Witness
- Inter partes review proceedings
News & Publications
- Court Prevents USTPO From Limiting Number of Claims and Continuances
- Can Processes Be Patented? Breaking Down Bilski v. Doll
- Newholm on “Written Description”
- Wisconsin Law Journal: Case Poised to Reshape Patent Law
- New IPEC Aims to Enforce Laws Against IP Theft
- “Changes in Patent and Copyright Law Under GATT,” co-author, Wisconsin Lawyer, 1995
- “Protecting American Inventors,” co-author, Wisconsin Lawyer, 2000
- “Intellectual Property Law,” co-author, State Bar of Wisconsin Business Advisory Series, 2006
Academics & Education
- University of Wisconsin-Platteville, B.S. Mechanical Engineering
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., with Honors
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
Awards & Recognitions
- Wisconsin Super Lawyer, 2005-2009
- Marquette University Law School, former adjunct professor of patent prosecution
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, former patent examiner
Established in 1999, Boyle Fredrickson has grown to become Wisconsin’s largest intellectual property law firm. You’ve got ideas, we protect them.