John P. Fredrickson
An attorney since 1985, John Fredrickson is well respected in the legal community for his extensive experience in trademark and copyright law, in addition to his approach to intellectual property litigation. As a law clerk to the Honorable John L. Coffey, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, from 1985-1986, he learned the importance of skillful litigation. He received a diploma in trial advocacy from the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
John’s trial court experience includes a $10.3 million judgment in a patent jury trial (Kelley Company, Inc. v. The Serco Company), winning the “cheesehead war” (Foamation v. Scofield Souvenier) and taking on the Green Bay Packers and NFL Properties over trademark rights (NFL Properties, Inc. v. ProStyle, Inc.). In addition to representing litigants, he’s also spoken on various topics at continuing legal education (CLE) programs and has served as a mediator in intellectual property disputes.
He is a past president and shareholder in the firm.
- Intellectual property litigation
- Copyright law
- Trademark Acquisition
News & Publications
- Milwaukee-Waukesha Among Nation’s Fastest Growing Areas for New Patents
- Client Spotlight: The Lang Companies
Academics & Education
- North Park University, B.A., Psychology
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D.
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
Awards & Recognitions
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America for work in Trademark Law (2018) and Litigation – Patent (2017)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America for work in Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent, and Trademark Law
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, Law Clerk
- Member, INTA Trademark Mediators Network
- Budget Cinemas v. Watertower Associates (Seventh Circuit)
- Serco Services v. Kelley Co. (Federal Circuit)
- Slowiak v. Land O’Lakes, Inc. (Seventh Circuit)
Established in 1999, Boyle Fredrickson has grown to become Wisconsin’s largest intellectual property law firm. You’ve got ideas, we protect them.