Charles L. Leeck
Knowledgeable, responsive, and approachable, Chuck serves as counsel, strategic advisor, and advocate to clients in ever-changing landscapes of the biological, pharmaceutical, and chemical technologies.
Chuck works with research institutions and hi-tech startups to acquire and enforce the intellectual property rights that are so integral to their business and financial success. Chuck’s practice includes preparing and prosecuting patent applications in the U.S. and abroad, developing patent portfolio strategies, performing intellectual property evaluations, and participating in due diligence reviews.
Before becoming a firm shareholder, Chuck earned a doctorate in biochemistry and did post-doctoral studies in biochemistry and developmental biology under a Health Post-Doctoral Fellowship program funded by the National Institutes of Health. His practical experience in the biosciences gives Chuck a unique perspective when providing intellectual property advice to his clients about their technologies and where they fit within the highly competitive and ever-evolving biological, pharmaceutical, and chemical industries.
- Patent Prosecution in the Life Science, Pharmaceutical, and Chemical Areas
- Genetically-Modified Engineered Bacteria, Animals, and Plants
- Antibodies and Biologics
- Medical Diagnostics
- Biofuel Production
- Pharmaceuticals (e.g. anti-bacterial, anti-cancer, analgesic, and anti-hypertensive agents)
- Small Molecule Synthesis, Purification, and Diversification
- Food and Dietary Supplements
News & Publications
- Leeck CL, Forney JD. The 5′ coding region of Paramecium surface antigen genes controls mutually exclusive transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996 Apr 2;93(7):2838-43.
- Leeck CL, Forney JD. The upstream region is required but not sufficient to control mutually exclusive expression of Paramecium surface antigen genes. J Biol Chem. 1994 Dec 9;269(49):31283-8.
Academics & Education
- Wartburg College, B.A. Chemistry/Biology
- Purdue University, Ph.D. Biochemistry
- University of Wisconsin–Madison, Postdoctoral Study in Biochemistry/Developmental Biology
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D.
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
Awards & Recognition
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2006, 2008
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2013-Present